Nuts and seeds are very healthy foods to take as good nutrition and healthy diet. It is advisable to take them as they can help one to maintain a healthy life. They not only taste great but children simply love it and adults will find them useful as well. They contain a lot of protein, fiber, Vitamin E and Vitamin B and several other antioxidants as well as minerals. They also contain lots of monounsaturared fat, fats which are found in olive oil which are healthy for the heart. They are also great sources of Omega-3fatty acids.
Why should you eat nuts and seeds?
- They control one’s cholesterol levels.
- Help in regulating blood pressure.
- Treat digestive disorders.
- Cardiovascular diseases can also be treated
- Obesity can be tackled.
- Good for diabetes.
How to consume nuts and seeds?
It is important to include nuts and seeds in one’s diet. It is advisable to eat them raw for their nutritional value. If one gets exposed to heat on account of cooking, most of the nutritional value is lost. One must eat them out of a jar or a can and enjoy them as soaked mashed or grounded products.
No doubts these are high in fats and calories and one must not eat them in excess. Small amounts can be had in one’s diet and thus enjoy their health benefits to the maximum.
Which are the best nuts and seeds?
- Almonds: These are off white in color and have brownish thin coat and enclosed in nutshell. You get both sweet and bitter almonds. Sweet almonds can be taken and bitter ones can be used to make almond oil. These are easily available in the market. They are high in fiber, calcium, protein, zinc, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, iron and some of the Vitamin Bs and iron. They help in lowering cholesterol levels and improve cardiovascular conditions and boost up brain power. They also prevent birth defects, help in fighting constipation, reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes and strengthen bones. They are also useful for a healthy skin and hair.
- Pumpkin Seeds: These are also referred to as pepitas and are flat and asymmetrical oval in shape. They are dark green in color and are made up of a malleable and chewy texture and are sweet, nutty and creamy in flavor. They contain vitamin C, K and E and Omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, manganese, iron and phosphorous. One can add to the list phytosterols-beta.
- Flaxseeds: These are brown and yellow in color and are available in the local market. They taste sweet and have a smooth glossy surface and are in flat shape. They are rich in alpha-linolenic acid,lignans and fiber and are also high in protein, copper Vitamin B, manganese, magnesium , zinc, phosphorous, phytochemicals, selenium. They suppress appetite and help in weight loss. They can ease premenstrual discomfort (PMS), protect one against heart disease, lower cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of cancer and maintain healthy hair and skin. They stabilize blood sugar levels. One can have them with oatmeal or cereals. Pregnant women or breast feeding women must avoid them.
- Walnuts: These are edible kernels and are rich in omega-3fatty acids, protein, vitamin E, B-complex vitamins manganese, copper biotin amino acids, zinc, selenium, calcium , potassium and magnesium. They also contain a lot of monounsatured fats and also polyunsaturated fatty acids and much of alph-linolenic acid. If one takes walnuts regularly one is less exposed to prostate as well as breast cancer, better cholesterol levels, lessens high blood pressure, good for managing diabetes and boosts brain health. They are also good for the hair and skin.
- Sesame Seeds: These are crunchy in taste and are whitish, yellowish and black and red in color. They contain calcium, manganese, copper, iron phosphorous, B Vitamin, fiber and zinc. They also contain sesamin as well as sesamolin. They help in lowering blood pressure levels, protect against arthritis and liver damage, promote healthy bones, migraine headaches, certain types of cancer and asthma. One can have 3 tablespoonful of sesame seeds on a daily basis . These are useful to prepare baked stuff.
- Chia seeds: These are small and oval in shape and are grayish, black and white in color. They are rich in Vitamin C, iron calcium potassium, phosphorous and also contain fiber as well as omega -3 fatty acids. Regular consumption can prevent joint pains, helps digestive system, aids in losing weight, energy booster and improves overall brain health. It also helps in reducing depression, treating diabetes, arthritis, liver disease as well as heart disease. One can have 1 to 2 tablespoonful of chia seeds on a daily basis, Mix them in liquid to expand before having them.